550: Unit 2
History 550: Politics and Public Policy, Winter 2022
Part II: Political Ideas and Practices
Week 5. B format will not have homework for the short block.
12. Political ideologies in American History, from the first party system to the New Deal
READ: 550 Readings packet, 182-187 AND Alterman & Mattson, The Cause, pp. 2-12 in Appendix of the 550 Readings packet.
The reading traces the development of American political ideologies through three phases: Hamilton v. Jefferson; Whigs v. Democrats; and Liberals v. Conservatives (there’ll be more on the conservatives later). A lot of this should be review from your US history class, which most folks take in 11th grade. Feel free to bring in information you may recall from taking US history in the 11th grade.
Week 6 (below). Short blocks: no homework this week.
13. The rise of conservatism
READ Story & Laurie, Rise of Conservatism, 1-20, and documents 5, 7, 9, 11
What are the key differences between liberals and conservatives?
14. Liberalism in crisis
READ Alterman & Mattson, excerpts, 238-284; and Story & Laurie, documents 12, 24, 29, 30, 37.
QF: Racism, pure and simple, explains the defection of white working class voters from the Democratic Party.
15. The triumph of conservatism.
READ Story & Laurie, 20-31 and Alterman & Mattson, excerpts, 360-427;
QF: Democrats pushed the white working class away; Republicans lured them in; Racism was a factor. The DLC saved the Democratic Party.
Week 7 (below): Do homework before short block. (FYI, Week 7=16,17, 18)
READ: 550 Readings packet, 187-195 and in the appendix: Thomas Frank, "What's the Matter With Kansas" and Kay, "Seeing Red"
QF: The stockbroker populist
17. Polarization within: The Right.
READ: 550 Readings packet, 195-216
QF: American Conservatism: RIP
18. Polarization within: The Left
READ: 550 Readings packet, 216-236.
QF: The circular firing squad
Week 8. No short block homework. We will begin reading and talking about policy
19. How it all played out in recent elections
READ: 550 Readings packet, 237-254
QF: David Shor v. Matt Yglesias vs BLM
20. Education Policy THIS READING CANCELLED BECAUSE OF THE EXTRA DAY OFF READ: The new, Gree n packet of policy documents, 5-24 QF: America's system of public and private K-12 education is its greatest institution of egalitarian democracy.
21. Paper due. (STILL ON THURSDAY) Class doesn't meet. Drop a hard copy in the box at the door.